From: "Richard Jensen" <rjensen@uic.edu>
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 9:36 PM
Subject: cnet: Double Standard on Academic Freedom

> From: David T. Beito dbeito@bama.ua.edu
>

> http://www.historians.org/Perspectives/issues/2006/0603/0603vie2.cfm
> From the Viewpoints column of the March 2006 Perspectives
> The AHA's Double Standard on Academic Freedom
> by David Beito, Ralph E. Luker, and Robert K. C. Johnson
>
> Has the AHA turned its back on academic freedom? In January, members present
> at its business meeting rejected a resolution to condemn attacks on academic
> freedom, whether from the right or from the left. Instead, they passed a
> weaker resolution that selectively condemned only threats coming from the
> right.
>
> We weighed into this controversy as part of a three person "left/right"
> coalition for academic freedom. Our chances were slim and we knew it. Only
> in December did we learn that the AHA business meeting would consider a
> resolution to oppose David Horowitz's Academic Bill of Rights (ABOR). A
> leftist in the 1960s, Horowitz is now a militant activist for conservative
> causes. He founded the Center for the Study of Popular Culture in Los
> Angeles and publishes Front Page Magazine. Many of the provisions of
> Horowitz's ABOR seem laudable, at least on first scrutiny. It seeks to
> prohibit faculty from being hired on the basis of their political or
> religious beliefs. It requires that faculty expose students to diverse
> perspectives and, according to Horowitz, prohibits raising political issues
> in class that are outside the course subject matter. This provision opens
> the door for a student to file a complaint by making a charge of
> "indoctrination."1
>
> Whatever the intentions of the drafters, the ABOR has already unleashed
> forces that seek to stifle free and open debate on campus. In Florida, for
> example, Representative Dennis Baxley says that his version of the ABOR
> would enable students to sue professors who do not teach Intelligent Design
> (ID). Horowitz denies that the ABOR would have this effect, but in doing so
> he raises additional troubling questions. His bill does not does mandate ID,
> he says, because it reserves special protection only for ideas within "the
> spectrum of significant scholarly opinion." This rationale provides little
> reassurance to a credible scholar who might advocate a new, and possibly
> controversial, approach that is not yet part of that spectrum.2
>
> The most serious danger posed by the ABOR, however, is that it could snuff
> out all controversial discussion in the classroom. A campus governed by the
> ABOR would present professors with an impossible dilemma: either play it
> safe or risk administrative censure by saying something that might offend an
> overly sensitive student.
>
> Equally controversial are the campus speech codes. Even though support for
> these codes comes overwhelmingly from the academic left, the parallels
> between the ABOR and the speech codes are striking. These codes exist on
> [...]

David Horowitz is the founder of The David Horowitz Freedom Center and author of the new book, One Party Classroom.

We have implemented a new commenting system. To use it you must login/register with disqus. Registering is simple and can be done while posting this comment itself. Please contact gzenone [at] horowitzfreedomcenter.org if you have any difficulties.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Home | Blog | Horowitz | Archives | Columnists | Search | Store | Links | CSPC | Contact | Advertise with Us | Privacy Policy

Copyright©2007 FrontPageMagazine.com