Home  |   Jihad Watch  |   Horowitz  |   Archive  |   Columnists  |     DHFC  |  Store  |   Contact  |   Links  |   Search Friday, November 21, 2014
FrontPageMag Article
Write Comment View Comments Printable Article Email Article
Font:
Indian Hunt In Indiana By: FrontPage Magazine
FrontPageMagazine.com | Wednesday, August 10, 2005

William Bradford is a Chiricahua Apache Indian who served 10 years in the army (1990-2001), taught at the National War College and was on the staff of Chief of Joint Chief of Staff Shalikashvili.  He has a Ph.D. from Northwestern University and a law degree summa cum laude from the University of Miami. His legal philosophy takes a patriotic bent, most noticeably in his recent article for the Notre Dame Law Review, "The Duty to Defend Them:  A Natural Legal Justification of the Bush Doctrine of Preventative War."  He recently conducted the training for the JAG attorneys of the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) on the Laws of Armed Conflict. Yet he has also defended a Saudi student in Idaho whom he thought falsely accused of using a website to support terrorism.  His specialties are national security and foreign-relations law, international law, law of armed conflict, and federal Indian law.

Bradford was hired as an Assistant Professor of Law (no tenure) at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis School of Law in autumn semester 2002.  He was promoted by unanimous vote to associate professor of law without tenure in autumn semester 2004.  He has an outstanding record of publication, with already enough legal-scholarly publications--a book and more than 20 articles in law reviews or chapters in books--to be a tenured full professor at IUPUI.

In March 2005 he formally applied for tenure.  The application was denied by the Vice Chancellor of the university on the grounds that the normal period of pre-tenure probation is six years, not three. (Technically this is true. But there is no university rule preventing such early promotions and in the case of extraordinary resumes, they are in order.) There was then a “straw poll” vote in the Law Faculty regarding Bradford’s possible future tenure:  the vote was 10-5 in favor, which in academic terms is not a strong vote, astounding in the case of a candidate with such strong credentials. There was also a vote taken on whether to rehire him merely in untenured status for three more years:  this also passed, but again only by a 10-5 vote.

Bradford is convinced that his patriotic political stance on the War on Terror and his refusal to sign a petition in behalf of Ward Churchill which was sponsored by his chief antagonist on the law faculty (and its leading leftwing activist), Professor Florence Roisman, is the proximate cause of this grotesque situation. When Bradford refused to sign her petition for Churchill, Roisman said “What kind of a native American are you?”

There is no other plausible explanation why someone with the scholarly publications to be a full professor, and indeed with a quantity and quality of scholarly publications that compare favorably with those already holding prestigious endowed Chairs in Law at Indiana, did not receive a unanimous or near unanimous vote which is normally the case.

Professor Roisman, who holds an endowed Chair, has led a campaign to vilify Professor Bradford. She has called him a “liar,” and referred to him as “Clarence Tomahawk” (a charge she denies); she has refused to provide any reasons for her opposition to his tenure request, and to merely rehiring him untenured for the next three years, while denying that her opposition is political. It appears that at least three members of the Law School’s Progressive Faculty and Staff Coalition voted to deny tenure and a renewed appointment to Bradford.

The five votes against even allowing Bradford to continue for three years as an untenured professor is really astounding, given that he has out-published many full professors in the department, including several with endowed Chairs.  He also has stellar service and teaching performance records. It is cruelly ironic that Bradford, an authentic American Indian and a real American patriot, is being punished for having refused to support Ward Churchill, the infamous Indian impostor, academic fraud and American traitor from the University of Colorado.

This case came to our attention at FrontPage after our sister site, www.studentsforacademicfreedom.org published an article about the case that was written by Ruth Holladay and that appeared in the Indianapolis Star. We then received a letter from Professor Roisman, demanding that we retract the claims made in the Indianapolis Star article. We refused. She replied and we answered her reply. The correspondence follows, at the end of which there is an analysis of the entire caes by an academic expert who is a full professor at a major state university and who voted for John Kerry.

From Sara Dogan (National Campus Director, Students for Academic Freedom):

A professor Roisman from Indiana U. sent me an email wanting me to post her rebuttal to the Indianapolis Star story which we posted about a conservative professor there who was denied tenure for not being collegial. Here's the original story and her rebuttal is printed below.