Write Comment View Comments Printable Article Email Article
Font:
A Professor Who Wants To Be Dangerous By: David Horowitz
FrontPageMagazine.com | Wednesday, February 15, 2006

During my appearance on the Hannity and Colmes Show to promote my new book, The Professors, Alan Colmes suggested I had “cherry-picked” the 101 professors I profiled, a charge made earlier by Michael Berube. The idea is that I combed faculties to find 101 aberrant professors and consequently my book mis-represents the state of affairs in the academy . Anyone who has actually read my book would know otherwise. I devote an entire chapter to explaining “Why The Professors Profiled In This Volume Are Representative.” I inform readers that I could just as easily have written a book about 1001 or 10,001 professors who abuse their classrooms, turning them into political soap boxes. In my book I estimate that there are 30,000 professors nationally who fit the profile of the professors included, which is a very conservative estimate. The figure is probably closer to 60,000. I explain why this is so in the book. However, as an impressive piece of anecdotal evidence, which is not in the book, I offer here an email I received from a Department Chair at the University of Michigan, who was not included in The Professors and wants to be, and who volunteers that there are “thousands” like him on faculties all over the country. This is a professor who thinks that Cuba is a “vibrant democracy” and its bankrupt economy a model for others, and who teaches a course in “Biology and Human Affairs” where he indoctrinates students in the glories of the totalitarian worldview: