This current issue of the Hamas weekly has a cartoon of a Palestinian child urinating on the Statue of Liberty, which is holding a book labelled "Democracy". This expression of utter disdain for the US and its democracy follows other recent slurs in the PA media. For example, the West was condemned in March at a Palestinian rally:
"for many years of trying to penetrate Islamic youth with dubious things such as the ideas of democracy."
[Al Hayat Al Jadida, March 4, 2006]
Background Brief: Denigrating the Statue of Liberty in PA Cartoons:
Visual and verbal attacks on US symbols are standard components of Palestinian Authority hate incitement, and the Statue of Liberty is a symbol that has been mocked and denigrated in PA cartoons for years.
Palestinian cartoons of the Statue of Liberty, include [see visuals below] :
- Palestinian child urinating on the Statue of Liberty
- The Statue of Liberty as a suicide terrorist
- The Statue of Liberty's torch igniting the world's fires
- The Statue of Liberty as a prostitute
- The Statue of Liberty being imprisoned by the FBI and CIA
- The Statue of Liberty as an evil Condoleezza Rice, representing Israel
- The Statue of Liberty destroyed with Superman at the "Gates of Baghdad"
- The Statue of Liberty symbol as a heroic Palestinian woman. However, instead of representing freedom, the defiant Palestinian Statue represents violence and terror, wears a crown of machines guns and holds an infant grasping a stone.
It should be noted that except for this week's Hamas cartoon, all the previous cartoons denigrating the US symbol of freedom were in newspapers controlled by Mahmoud Abbas's Fatah party.
The following is the full collection.
1. Palestinian child urinating on the Statue of Liberty
[Al-Risala May 25, 2006, On book: "Democracy"]
2. The Statue of Liberty as a suicide terrorist
[Al-Hayat Al-Jadida January 31, 2006]
3. The Statue of Liberty's torch igniting the world's fires
[Al-Hayat Al-Jadida June 9, 2004]
4. The Statue of Liberty as a prostitute
[Al-Quds May 22, 2005]
5. The Statue of Liberty being imprisoned by the FBI and CIA.
Text: "Sir, we've arrested an suspicious alien woman holding a torch. We assume she wants to ignite the White House".
[Al-Hayat Al-Jadida November 28, 2001]
6. The Statue of Liberty as an evil Condoleezza Rice, representing Israel
7. The Statue of Liberty destroyed with American superheroes.
On right top: "Gates of Baghdad"
[Al-Ayam March 27, 2003]
8. The statue of Liberty as a Palestinian woman representing violence and terror.
Text on top: "The Palestinian Statue of Liberty"
[Al-Hayat Al-Jadida September 29, 2003]