CAIR and ICNA, two groups with documented ties to extremist groups overseas, have happened upon a new ploy to bring “non-believers” to Islam. The groups are using public transportation – subways and buses – to advertise their message. However, that message is one that is highly offensive and demeaning to those of other faiths, as it promotes Islam as a religion of superiority and spreads false information about revered Christian and Jewish figures.
CAIR or the Council on American-Islamic Relations was built out of Hamas. It was the brainchild of leaders from the American propaganda wing of Hamas, the Islamic Association for Palestine (IAP). As well, it was established in 1994 as a part of Hamas leader Mousa Abu Marzook’s American Palestine Committee, a group whose mission was to raise money for Hamas from the United States.
CAIR, like all other radical Muslim groups, believes that Islam is superior to all religions and that the U.S. Constitution should be replaced by the Quran. This sinister belief and agenda were revealed in July of 1998, when then-CAIR National Chairman and current Chairman Emiritus Omar Ahmad was quoted in an article as saying, “Islam isn’t in America to be equal to any other faith but to become dominant. The Quran, the Muslim book of scripture, should be the highest authority in America, and Islam the only accepted religion on Earth.”
ICNA or the Islamic Circle of North America was created in 1971 as an emulation of Jamaat-e-Islami (JI), also known as the Muslim Brotherhood of Pakistan. ICNA has been tied to the financing of Hamas, through JI’s charity, the Al-Khidmat Foundation (AKF). And the group continues to be a “partner” to AKF via its Al-Khidmat Welfare Society (AKWS).
ICNA’s religious outreach or dawah group in America is Why Islam (WI). But instead of spreading the faith, many times WI is used to propagate hatred and violence. Outrageous statements currently found on WI’s website, include [author corrected grammar for clarity]:
· “[W]e use the word ‘terrorism’ too loosely. Your terrorist is another’s freedom fighter... I agree with the act of resistance, whether it be through protest or violence.”
· “The Americans don’t care about their allies, even though speaking Islamically they are our enemies and not allies... Like Allah says in the Quran, Baqarah 2, ‘Never will the Jews nor the Christians be pleased with you… till you follow their religion’… Their friendship is an illusion.”
· “Siding with the Kuffar [unbeliever] to kill Muslims takes one out of the folds of Islam… The American empire needs to be destroyed once and for all… Allah has promised us victory… Islam is meant to rule the world.”
· “Don’t get fooled, Allah (sw) says a believer who may be a slave is better than a free/emancipated disbeliever, though you may like the free/attractive disbeliever… You will be held accountable for your kids, if G-d forbid they don't make it to heaven as a result of a Hindu mother.”
· “[T]he Christ that Christians believe will come before the Rapture is actually the anti-Christ who the Zionist-Jews will think to be their promised-Messiah… Most Christians don't know this. They live in their capsule of ignorance that is hardened by the western main-stream media… [T]heir greed and covetousness for consumption is likened only with Satan in the Bible.”
Recently, ICNA came up with a campaign to advertise WI throughout the New York City subway system. To promote the project, it used “unindicted co-conspirator” of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, Siraj Wahhaj, as a spokesman. Now, both ICNA and CAIR have come up with a new way to advertise their message of hate – via public buses.
In Chicago and South Florida, for an extended period of time, public buses will be draped with radical Islam. Across the top of each ICNA bus, passersby are able to read the words, “ISLAM: The way of life of Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus & Muhammad.”
At the same time, CAIR has sponsored its own bus project, nearly identical to ICNA’s. Across CAIR’s buses, one can read, “ISLAM: The Message of Abraham, Moses, Jesus & Muhammad.”
Both statements are incredibly offensive to Jews and Christians, as they imply that Abraham, Moses and Jesus – revered figures in Judaism and Christianity – were practicing Muslims and are solely part of Islam. Indeed, Islam came on the scene 2700 years after Judaism and 600 years after Christianity. And while there is no problem with Muslims praising their religion, there is certainly a problem with those denigrating the beliefs of others.
Furthermore, using absolutes, such as “the way of life” and “the Message,” displays an air of superiority over that of other faiths, a concept that all Muslim fanatics brainwash their children to believe.
CAIR and ICNA, in their attempt to bring new followers to Islam with their respective bus initiatives, have proceeded to offend members of other faiths. Their use of Christian and Jewish religious icons to prop up their own extremist agenda reveals their true nature, one of Islamist supremism.
If the subway system and bus companies allow these types of projects to continue, they should know that they are contributing to the downfall of America and its Constitution. They ought to remove the groups’ ads, and put an end to their aiding and abetting of radical Islam by refusing any future ones.
Beila Rabinowitz, Director of Militant Islam Monitor, contributed to this report.