In my capacity as chairman for the Lebanese Canadian Coordinating Council, (LCCC expresses) and on behalf of its Board Directors and members we all express our profound condemnation of the terrorist, criminal and cowardly bombing that took the life of Lebanon's Parliament Member Walid Eido yesterday Wednesday, as well as the lives of his older son Khaled, two of his bodyguards and several innocent bystanders.
We call on all the Lebanese political factions and forces to unite under the banner of independence and sovereignty and to reach a peaceful political agreement, in accordance with international norms, the spirit of the Lebanese constitution and the principles of freedoms and democracy, that will resolve the long-standing problems of the tormented country that is Lebanon. This has become an imperative to prevent further deterioration to a fatal point of no-return in which the country will lose its constitutional, institutional and judicial foundations and will cease to exist.
Like all representatives of the Lebanese communities around the globe, we stand by our free people in Lebanon as they face the most difficult and harshest circumstances in their security, livelihood and existence. We reiterate our unwavering support to the legitimate government of Prime Minister Siniora in confronting the terrorism of the Syrian regime and the perfidy of the coup-minded Lebanese opposition which is serving as the poisoned spearhead for the plots by the two destructive countries of the Axis of Evil, Iran and Syria.
We urge the government of Prime Minister Siniora to immediately:
* Request the help of the international forces, through the Security Council and in accordance with the provisions of resolution 1701, for an effective deployment along the Lebanese-Syrian borders and the backing of the Lebanese army in ending the Fatah Al-Islam challenge in Nahr Al-Bared. All security enclaves that are outside the authority of the State must be permanently shut down, and all militias, beginning with the Hezbollah organization, must be disarmed.
* Collect all Palestinian weapons that are in military encampments outside the Palestinian twelve camps in Lebanon and which are fully operated by Syrian Intelligence.
* Appoint Shiite Ministers to the government in lieu of the Hezbollah Party and Amal Movement Ministers who had resigned in late 2006 under direct orders from the Syrian regime.
* Demand that the Arab League and the UN boycott the Syrian regime which is directly responsible for all the assassinations of free and honourable Lebanese MPs, Ministers and leaders who stood for sovereignty and patriotism.
* We extend our sincere condolences to the families of the victims and wish the wounded speedy recovery. We hope that those behind this barbaric crime will soon be uncovered, prosecuted and made to serve their fair punishment.