Ever since Sixties radicals decided to avoid the draft by staying in school and becoming professors and teachers, a cancer has been spreading through the American educational system. Until this generation came along education was understood in this country as a means of opening young minds. Since then, however, all too many unscrupulous teachers have found the prospect of a captive audience of vulnerable youngsters too tempting to resist. Liberals, we have noticed, are natural born bullies. Unable to muster reasonable arguments to defend their prejudices, they resort to shouting down their opponents and slandering them instead. If they can find young people too innocent of the world, and lacking the knowledge to rebut them, they don’t hesitate to take whatever opportunity that is presented to them to manipulate their youthful minds and fill them with whatever propaganda they have at hand. As a result, students in our K-12 schools are being increasingly indoctrinated instead of educated. Some teachers even think nothing of recruiting teenagers to street demonstrations in behalf of their leftist favorite causes, which sometimes involve actions that are physically dangerous.
The three-page anti-Bush handout printed below was distributed to a class of unsuspecting high school students in Bayside, New York, by English teacher Lorna Mann. The school, Benjamin Cardozo High School, is an award-winning public institution named after the famous American jurist. Though it may be widely practiced, exploiting public school students for political agendas is still reprehensible. It is also illegal.
Comments posted on a RateMyTeachers.com have this to say about English teacher Lorna Mann:
“Everyone is terrified of her...no one wants to ask questions. We're all just worried about our grade.”
“Horrible horrible teacher. She prints out Cliff Notes and reads them to the class and doesn't know her work like she should. I got a 90 in her class though.”
“(I) got (a) 90 on English Regents, and 55 in the class, still trying to figure this one out. Her grades make no sense.”
“She was the worst possible college advisor. She suggested colleges based on what the campus looked like and spelled my name incorrectly on her recommendation.”
“She gives lots of work and can be kind of cold. A lot of people say she makes it really obvious who her favorites are and makes it obvious if she hates you.”
Are the administrators at Benjamin Cardozo High asleep? And the parents?
Disturbing as Lorna Mann’s behavior is, hers is but the latest in a string of leftist attempts to push their agenda in public high schools. A school board in Amherst, Massachusetts -- which forbade high school students from putting on productions of West Side Story and Peter Pan because they allegedly stereotyped Puerto Ricans and American Indians -- approved a production of "The Vagina Monologues." This foul-mouthed feminist screed features a lesbian relationship between an adult woman and an underage girl much like the ones who will be in the audience. Last February, students at Miller High School in Corpus Christi, Texas, were going to be forced to attend an Al Sharpton campaign speech, before an uproar from local parents -- and FrontPage Magazine readers -- changed these plans. Steve Miller of Santa Monica High School received low grades for a well-written essay that deviated from leftist orthodoxy on poverty and championing other conservative causes at this left-wing stronghold. By standing up for his beliefs, Miller changed his school’s outlook, with help from media exposure by FrontPage Magazine and talk show host Larry Elder.
These incidents suggest that the Academic Bill of Rights, which was designed for universities, should be extended to high schools as soon as possible. Whether at the high school or college level, teachers ought to teach their subject matter not vent their rage at Republican presidents or display their kooky political beliefs as Lorna Mann has.
What follows is the “Resume” Lorna Mann handed out to her English students at Cardozo High:
PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:Send this to every voter you know.
* LAW ENFORCEMENT: I was arrested in Kennebunkport, Maine, in 1976 for driving under the influence of alcohol. I pled guilty, paid a fine, and had my driver's license suspended for 30 days. My Texas driving record has been "lost" and is not available.
* MILITARY: I joined the Texas Air National Guard and went AWOL. I refused to take a drug test or answer any questions about my drug use. By joining the Texas Air National Guard, I was able to avoid combat duty in Vietnam.
* COLLEGE: I graduated from Yale University with a low C average. I was a cheerleader.
PAST WORK EXPERIENCE:
* I ran for U.S. Congress and lost.
* I began my career in the oil business in Midland, Texas, in 1975. I bought an oil company, but couldn't find any oil in Texas. The company went bankrupt shortly after I sold all my stock.
* I bought the Texas Rangers baseball team in a sweetheart deal that took land using taxpayer money.
* With the help of my father and our right-wing friends in the oil industry (including Enron CEO Ken Lay), I was elected governor of Texas.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS GOVERNOR:
* I changed Texas pollution laws to favor power and oil companies, making Texas the most polluted state in the Union.
* During my tenure, Houston replaced Los Angeles as the most smog-ridden city in America.
* I cut taxes and bankrupted the Texas treasury to the tune of billions in borrowed money.
* I set the record for the most executions by any governor in American history.
* With the help of my brother, the governor of Florida, and my father's appointments to the Supreme Court, I became President after losing by over 500,000 votes.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS PRESIDENT:
* I invaded and occupied two countries at a continuing cost of over one billion dollars per week.
* I spent the U.S. surplus and effectively bankrupted the U.S. Treasury.
* I shattered the record for the largest annual deficit in U.S. history.
* I set an economic record for most private bankruptcies filed in any 12-month period.
* I set the all-time record for the biggest drop in the history of the U.S. stock market.
* I am the first President in U.S. history to enter office with a criminal record.
* I set the all-time record for most days on vacation in any one-year period.
* After taking off the entire month of August, I presided over the worst security failure in U.S. history.
* I am supporting development of nuclear "Tactical Bunker Busters" which by definition are WMD.
* In my State of the Union Address, I lied about our reasons for attacking Iraq and then blamed the lies on our British friends.
* I set the record for most campaign fund-raising trips by a U.S. President.
* In my first year in office, over 2 million Americans lost their jobs and that trend continues every month.
* I set the all-time record for most foreclosures in a 12-month period.
* I appointed more convicted criminals to administration than any President in U.S. history.
* I set the record for the fewest number of press-conferences (sic.) of any President since the advent of television.
* I presided over the biggest energy crisis in U.S. history and refused to intervene when corruption involving the oil industry was revealed.
* I presided over the highest gasoline prices in U.S. history.
* I have cut health care benefits for war veterans and support a cut in duty benefits for active duty troops and their families -- in war time.
* I have set the all-time record for most people worldwide to simultaneously protest me in public venues (15 million people), shattering the record for protest against any person in the history of mankind.
* I've broken more international treaties than any President in U.S. history.
* I'm proud that the members of my cabinet are the richest of any administration in U.S. history. My "poorest millionaire," Condoleeza Rice, has a Chevron oil tanker named after her.
* I am the first President in U.S. history to order an unprovoked, preemptive attack and the military occupation of a sovereign nation. I did so against the will of the United Nations, the majority of U.S. citizens, and the world community.
* I created the Ministry of Homeland Security, the largest bureaucracy in the history of the United States government.
* I am the first President in U.S. history to have the United Nations remove the U.S. from the Human Rights Commission.
* I withdrew the U.S. from the World Court of Law.
* I refused to allow inspectors access to U.S. "prisoners of war" detainees and thereby have refused to abide by the Geneva Convention.
* I am the first President in history to refuse United Nations election inspectors (during the 2002 U.S. election).
* I am the all-time U.S. and world record-holder for receiving the most corporate campaign donations.
* My largest lifetime campaign contributor, and one of my best friends, Kenneth Lay, presided over the largest corporate bankruptcy fraud in U.S. history.
* My political party used Enron private jets and corporate attorneys to assure my success with the U.S. Supreme Court during my election decision.
* I have protected my friends at Enron and Halliburton against investigation or prosecution. More time and money was spent investigating the Monica Lewinsky affair than has been spent investigating one of the biggest corporate rip-offs in history.
* I garnered the most sympathy for the U.S. after the World Trade Center
attacks and less than a year later made the U.S. the most hated country in
the world, the largest failure of diplomacy in world history.
* I am the first President in history to have a majority of Europeans (71%) view my presidency as the biggest threat to world peace and security.
* I changed the U.S. policy to allow convicted criminals to be awarded government contracts.
* I have so far failed to fulfill my pledge to bring Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein to justice.
RECORDS AND REFERENCES:
* All records of my tenure as governor of Texas are now in my father's library, sealed and unavailable for public view.
* All records of SEC investigations into my insider trading and my bankrupt companies are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public view.
* All records or minutes from meetings that I, or my Vice-President, attended regarding public energy policy are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public review.
Please consider my experience when voting in 2004.